Friday 7 March 2014

Researchers Make Breakthrough In Effort To Cure AIDS Using Gene Therapy



A major breakthrough in HIV therapy could be the beginning of a cure for AIDS.
As CBS 2s Dr. Max Gomez explained, scientists have genetically engineered white blood cells to make them immune to the AIDS virus. Researchers say it seems safe and promising.
The results give hope that this approach might one day free at least some people from needing medicines to keep HIV under control, a form of cure.
Scientists have known for decades that some people seem to be immune to the HIV infection, Gomez reported.
It turns out about 1 percent of northern Europeans have a genetic mutation that prevents the AIDS virus from infecting white blood cells, called T cells.
Now researchers have made normal T cells HIV-immune, Gomez reported.
The idea came from an AIDS patient who appears cured after getting a cell transplant seven years ago in Berlin from a donor with natural immunity to HIV.
Researchers are seeking a more practical way to get similar results by using gene therapy to modify patients’ own blood cells.
A study of this in 12 patients was led by Dr. Carl June at the University of Pennsylvania. Results are in Thursday’s New England Journal of Medicine. These are the first published results from this method, which also has been tried in several smaller studies of patients in California.
HIV usually infects blood cells through a protein on their surface, a “docking station” called CCR5. A California company, Sangamo BioSciences Inc., makes a treatment that can knock out a gene that makes CCR5.
The 12 HIV patients had their blood filtered to remove some of their cells. The gene-snipping compound was added in the lab, and the cells were infused back into the patients.
Four weeks later, half of the patients were temporarily taken off AIDS medicines to see the gene therapy’s effect. The virus returned in all but one of them, but the modified cells seemed to be protected from HIV infection and were more likely to survive than the cells that had not been treated.
“We knew that the virus was going to come back in most of the patients,” but the hope is that the modified cells eventually will outnumber the rest and give the patient a way to control viral levels without medicines, said Dr. Pablo Tebas, one of the Penn researchers. That would be what doctors call a “functional cure,” because the virus would still be present but held in check without treatment.
“That might be a step towards eventually making the immune system of the patients resistant to HIV,” Tebas said.
The lone patient whose HIV did not return turned out to have one copy of the protective gene, so “nature had done half of the job already,” Tebas said.
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases sponsored the work with Sangamo and Penn.
“The ultimate goal is to create an immune system in the body that’s been edited genetically so the cells are not capable of being infected with HIV,” said institute director Dr. Anthony Fauci, “but we are a long way from there at this point.”
Jay Johnson, 53, who works for Action AIDS, an advocacy and service organization in Philadelphia, had the treatment more than three years ago. Although the virus rebounded when he temporarily went off HIV medicines, tests show his modified blood cells are still multiplying.
“Hopefully one day I’ll be able to say I’m HIV negative again,” he said.
Johnson has been HIV positive for more than 20 years. He considers himself lucky since he has remained healthy, but said his drugs are a daily reminder he has the virus.
About eight months ago, Johnson’s doctors told him modified T cells are still circulating in his body.
“If I could stop the virus from being within me, it would just be absolutely wonderful,” he said.
Much work needs to be done before this small study becomes an available therapy, but it is proof that the concept can work.
In addition, researchers found when the same genetic engineering is applied to stem cells, those cells make lots of HIV-immune white blood cells, which could be a long-term cure.
SOURCE
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/03/05/researchers-make-breakthrough-in-effort-to-cure-aids-using-gene-therapy/

4 comments:

  1. hi everyone this is a testimony i wish to tell about how i was miraculous cured from this deadly disease called HIV,i have been with this disease for the past 2 years now,i have been actually living on drugs which was eventually getting me weaker day by day not until i saw many testimony about Dr Bello how he has helped a lot of people from this disease and they where cured permanently from it,though i never believed in spells or miracle but after reading so many testimony of Dr Bello healing spell for HIV i decided to give it a try, when i did eventually contacted this spell caster Dr Bello and to my greatest surprise is that Dr Bellois a man of great reputation and a man of his word,because he told me he was going to cast a healing spell for me that will take 72 hours and it was so as he said, because am really happy to share this testimony that i am totally free from HIV, i just confirmed that from the hospital last week and i was told it was indeed a miracle for me to have been negative,so friends i will really advise you contact this dr also for any kind of disease and be free from it with his healing spell, his email bellospelltemple@gmail.com or+2348147271779

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =RAHASIA MENHASILKAN UANG BERLIMPAH= ====RATUSAN RIBUH HINGGA JUTAAN RUPIAH BAHKAN SAMPAI RATUSAN JUTA=== ====TIAP HARI DENGAN BANTUAN NYAI-RONGGENG HU 085-220-880-369=====

      JIKA ANDA SUDAH CAPE DAN LELAH DENGAN STATUS P7-PERGI PAGI PULANG PETANG PENGHASILAN CUMA PAS-PASAN DAN TIDAK TAU HARUS BAGAIMANA LAGI UNTUK MENINGKATKAN KONDISI FINANSIAL KEUANGAN ANDA...MAKA SAYA MINTA SEGERA HUB NYAI-RONGGENG DI 085-220-880-369 ATAU KLIK http://nyaironggeng7.blogspot.com BELIAU PASTI MEMBANTU ANDA SAMPAI ANDA SUKSES,SPERTI SAYA.KEHIDUPAN SAYA YANG DULUNYA SUSAH SEKARANG SUDAH SERBA BERKECUKUPAN BERKAT BANTUAN DARI NYAI RONGGENG.ANDA PASTI SUKSES JIKA UDAH DI BANTU AMA NYAI RONGGENG SEGERA SAJA HUB BELIAU JIKA ANDA UDAH CAPE HIDUP SUSAH.

      DAN DI SINI PULA ANDA BISA MENGHASILKAN DANA CEPAT DENGAN CARA YANG LAIN ATAU DENGAN KATA LAIN
      PESUGIHN TUYUL
      UANG GAIB
      ANKA GAIB
      DAN PESUGIHAN PUTIH TANPA TUMBAL..

      Delete
  2. My name is maria cooker , I am here to Share my testimony about a doctor who helped me remove a burden from my life. I was infected with HIV SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2012, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking of how to get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I went to visit a friend and she asked why i was looking so sad i explained to her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduced me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HIV SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i emailed him. He told me all the things I needed to do and also gave me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what was happening after two weeks the HIV SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at: dramaduherbalhome@gmail.com,,,dramaduherbalhome@outlook.com or call and whatsapp him on +2349052645237CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
    HIV/AIDS,HERPES,CANCER,ALS,IF YOU NEED YOUR EX BACK,JOB SPELL,TO KEEP YOUR MARRIGE,TO MAKE LOVED ONE BE YOUR FPREVER..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm maria cooker , I contracted HIV in 2009, I was told by my doctor that there's no possible cure for HIV. I started taking my ARV's, My CD4 was 77 and viral load was 112,450. I saw a website of Dr. amadu, also I saw a lot of testimonials about him on how he uses herbal medicine to cure HIV. I contacted him and told him my problems, He sent me the herbal medicine and I took it for 7 days after then I went for check-up and I was cured. The medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT, there's no special diet when taking the medicine. He also cure ALS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, HERPES and lots more. You can reach him on dramaduherbalhome@gmail.com. or dramaduherbalhome@outlook.com. or call/Whatsapp +2349052645237. ;

    ReplyDelete

 

FACEBOOK PAGE

SKETCHES & PAINTINGS